Monday, February 8, 2010

Melissa Q's Fundraising Letter

One of the most effective ways to raise money for the Komen 3 Day for the Cure is a letter writing campaign to friends and family.  We'll be featuring each of our letters here as we write them.  First up, Melissa Q's fundraising letter!

Save the Ta-Ta's (and Lives Too!)

Dear friends and family,

Now that I have your attention, allow me to explain...

I have committed to raise $3,000 and walk 60 miles in Boston this summer at the Susan G. Komen 3-Day For the Cure to fight Breast Cancer and I cannot get there without your help.  I walked in this event back in 2006 but the walk has special meaning to me this year.

Why I walk:

The past year has brought the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. First, the birth of our daughter, Reese.  She arrived in November and has brought such joy to Todd, myself and our families. I am more aware, now more than ever, to be better.  To do better.  I want to teach her that hard work and persistence can pay off and you can help make a difference if you choose.  I want to leave footprints for her to follow so that she can see anything is possible.  I want for her generation to have a cure so they will not have to lose their mothers, sisters and friends. I want her to learn that you don't have to sit idly by waiting for change.  You can be a part of something bigger than yourself and feel good about giving back. 

This year also brought enormous sadness to our families with the loss of Marcia Schenck. She was the mother of my best friend and a surrogate mom to me through the years.  Marcia had battled with Breast Cancer for about 9 years and was so driven to find a cure that she inspired everyone around her.  She never gave up hope and we will not give up still.  I am walking with a group of friends from childhood, including her daughter Jen, to support their family in their loss and pay tribute to the beautiful life Marcia lived. 

Reasons to donate:

To save the Ta-Ta's!  To save lives! To support me!  The tax deduction!  Most of all, to support those here and gone continue their journey of hope...

Here's how:

The easiest method is to visit my webpage online at http://www.the3day.org/goto/mquerry.  You will receive a receipt of your payment via email for your tax deduction right away. If you are not comfortable donating online, you can visit that same page and click the link for a donation form.  Print it out and mail in your donation from there. 

I send with this my biggest, most heartfelt thank you for your love and support.  Again, I could not be a part of this amazing journey without your help.  Please feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested in supporting the cause and my journey to get there. 

Love always,
Melissa

 
Melissa, Marcia and Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment